Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Observe how healthily, how calmly I can tell you the whole story.

I washed a lot of clothes yesterday. I did not fold them. Instead, I threw them in a pile on our newly purchased papasan. I am leaving for College Station in just a couple of hours. In that time I need to take a shower... and fold those clothes. For a while I just stared at the clothes thinking "I need to fold those clothes," but I decided I didn't want to, so I came in here to occupy my time in a different way. As I sit down to check my email, in my peripheral, I see it: The pile of clothes (the papasan being in my direct vision from the computer desk.) I sit here and type this blog, thinking the pile can wait. But still I can see it. I try to keep my eyes straight, but I can still see it. Why won't it just leave me alone?! It seems to be getting larger. I shut the door. Surely that will take the pile far from my mind. But no. Even as I sit here typing, the pile is always on my mind. I can think of nothing else. I know what must be done, and I must do it. I must burn the clothes.

2 comments:

DREW! said...

Somewhere between "Groundhog Day" and "The Tell-Tale Heart" this story was given life.

Jeremy said...

Man, this cuts it pretty close to blog perfection. I had to fight to stifle my laughter when I finished reading it. And kudos on the title. Brilliant. Would that we could all make entries like this one...