Saturday, January 17, 2009

More like a "don't" date...

Today marks the eighth day past the baby's due date. It's so annoying because really, the "due date" is a midpoint of a four week period that you are most likely to have your baby. No matter how many times I tell myself this, I still think of myself as being "late" when I go past my due date.

Earlier this week I called to ask my OB's nurses about some back pain I was experiencing. I was basically wanting them to tell me whether or not I might be in labor. Instead they wanted me to come in so my doctor could check me and make sure everything was OK. He said that the baby was fine and that I hadn't progressed any. (I have been dilated to a 1 1/2 for three weeks.) I told him to go ahead and schedule me to be induced on the 19th (Martin Luther King Jr. day!) I'm not sure why I did this. I guess because the baby is going to be big, and I felt like 10 days was a good amount of time to wait after the due date. I know that a lot of doctors don't want you to go much longer than two weeks past. I also felt that if I scheduled the induction that I would be more likely to go in labor. That's silly, I know, but Andrea and I both went into labor two days prior to being induced. I was only six days past my due date with Evie so I've been surprised by this baby being even later. Everyone says that the more babies you have the faster they come and the shorter the labor. Well, I think it is a good idea to never listen to anyone, no matter how tempting it is. I'm such an optimist that I just hear all the good things people say about third babies and assume that will be the same for me and my third child.

So, here we are. Two days until the baby's very possible due date. Whatever the case, I'm glad that I'll be seeing his face soon. I can't really wrap my mind around it, but I am excited all the same.

Please pray for me if you think of it. I would be very happy to go into labor on my own before Monday. Pitocin is some seriously vile stuff and I want nothing to do with it.

3 comments:

Amber Lee said...

Oh dear, I hear the desperation in your blog. I know you really want to meet him. If I could hug you I would. I am still going to be optimistic for you. I will believe that tonight is the night and if it isn't then I am going to believe that all the pre-Pitocin stuff they do will put you into labor tomorrow night. If that doesn't work I am going to believe that you are going to have the best Pitocin experience in the world. If that doesn't work I am going to believe that once you hold Charlie in your arms it isn't going to matter anymore anyway. You will be too much in love to care (and I know that much will be true).

Amy Butler said...

Thank you, Amber. I hope you are right in that order, but that last thing is absolutely certain. It all becomes a very faint memory very quickly.

DREW! said...

Hehe..."don't date."