Friday, April 25, 2008

Too long for Flickr



I am sitting here posting some of my old pictures on Flickr. I started filling out a description for this picture. When I realized it was pretty long, I decided to blog it.

"An amusing story about this visit to the Empire State Building. When I was a junior in high school, and the seniors went on a trip, Andrew, Andrea and Jeremy all talked to me from the top of the Empire State Building. I was filled with jealousy and sadness because I wasn't there with them. My senior year, I forgot to call them when I was on top of the Empire State Building. A few years later, I returned to New York City with my friend Anna. I told her that this time I was determined to call Andrew, Andrea and Jeremy from the top of the Empire State Building. Maybe they could share in some of the jealousy I had once felt on the other side of that phone conversation. We get to the top, look around a bit, and then I busted out my phone card (old school!)

I call Andrew... no answer. I call Andrea... no answer. I call Jeremy's parents house. Jordan answers the phone.

"Hey, Jordan. Is Jeremy there?"

"No."

"Ah man!" (I think "Hmmm, maybe ~but probably not~ Jordan will share in my excitement!)

"Hey, guess where I am!"

"Where?"

"The Empire State Building!"

.....

"Why?"

Ugh.

Still seeking some kind of a response from someone... I call my mom, no answer. I realize that Meemaw is always an enthusiastic listener. I call her up: "Hey, Meemaw! I'm on top of the Empire State Building!"

"Oh, that's nice, dear...

Where's that?"

3 comments:

DREW! said...

Man, I actually never knew about any of this (except for talking to you when I was there, and the fact that you went on your senior trip and your trip with Anna...come to think of it, I pretty much knew all of this). Sorry you missed the opportunity to rub it in my face. If you ever make it there again, I promise I'll be on standby for you.

Anonymous said...

definitely my favorite story ever.

Silverthornes said...

I do remember talking to you while I was on top of the Empire State Building and being sad you weren't there.