Friday, May 04, 2007

Dude, where's YOUR car?

When I took Jack to the park on Wednesday, I came across an interesting group of people. There was a rather large lady (maybe late 30's), a guy and a girl (both about 22 or so-- the guy: not wearing a shirt), a younger guy (around 18), a little girl (around 4) and a little boy (possibly Jack's age.) At this particular park, there are only two picnic tables under the small pavilion. The three older people were sitting at one picnic table. I was going to set my bag on the other picnic table, but the younger guy was laying down on one of the benches. (Here's a picture of the park for reference, but those aren't the crazy people. That's Aubrey, Jack and Andrea):



So, I just held onto my bag and walked with Jack around the play area. No matter how much I watched this group of people, I could never figure out who the parent(s) were or how they were all related. They would all randomly shout out things like "so and so, get your butt over here" or "so and so, get that out of your mouth!" Anyhow, after I had been there for about 5 minutes, the larger lady, noticing my baby girth, said "when are you due?" I said "June." Then she said,"Do you have a car?"

(If you're thinking "I wasn't expecting her to say that", then we are right on track with one another.)

"Um, yes."

"Do you think that maybe you could take my son (possibly the guy loafing on the bench) to the mall, pick up his friend and bring them both back here?"

I was so shocked at such an inappropriate request, that I just stood there for a few seconds, trying to figure out how to respond.

"Well, I just got here and I was going to let my son play for a bit."

"Well, I didn't mean right now. Just whenever you get ready to go."

Now I'm thinking to myself "there is no way I'm going to take some random guy to pick up some other random guy-- and I'm especially not going to do it with my son and my unborn child in the car."

She then said "I would do it, but I have to wait here for my boyfriend."

(?!)

I didn't really say anything else, she just kind of started talking loudly to (her daughter?) the 20 something girl next to her. (She talked loudly the WHOLE time we were there and a lot of times she was swearing about something.) The rest of the time, I felt really awkward because I knew I would have to say something to them when I left-- and what would I even say?

Meanwhile, Jack was having lots of fun around the play area-- and I would have enjoyed it a lot too, but I just felt so uncomfortable around these people (we were the only people in the park, and it's really small.) Fortunately, Jack started showing interest in the green outside the play area, so we spent a lot of time looking at the trees (when jack sees a tree he says "tee!") and at one point Jack had a pretty good time chasing a squirrel all over the park.

Eventually, Jack wandered back to the play area. Then the shirtless guy came over to the play area, sat on the jungle gym, and started SMOKING. They were all smoking the whole time I was there, but at least they had been smoking under the pavilion. So I'm feeling pretty annoyed and I'm ready to leave. Just then, some guy (late 30's) shows up, so I'm feeling better about leaving-- thinking that maybe he is the older lady's boyfriend. Jack started showing signs of being tired, so I picked him up and started heading for the car. I walked by them and said "well, I really need to take my son home so he can take a nap. Did y'all figure something out?" The older lady said "Yeah, see this guy? The guy that showed up in the suburban? He's my boyfriend, the guy I was waiting for, so we're going to go to the mall together." Uh, ok.

So, I said "y'all take care" and started walking towards the car. Just then the 20 something girl came up to me (closely followed by the shirtless guy) and said "do you have any baby clothes?" I said "yes." She said "oh, well, I have to get all of my stuff out of my brother's garage soon, and I thought maybe you could take my baby clothes off my hands."

"No thanks. I'm all set."

This concludes the story of my strange park encounter.


Something else that is strange-- I just looked at Weather.com to see what the weather is going to be like this weekend: winter storm watch*. Oh, brother.


*Changed from "winter storm watch" to "snow advisory"

4 comments:

DREW! said...

These people obviously have no concept of park etiquette. Well, etiquette in general for that matter. But this sounds like the ilk of hillbilly nonsense that would make me fly off the handle.

I mean, maybe if she was asking to take him to work or something, but a random rendezvous with another rando is highly unacceptable.

Furthermore, I wonder how they all got to the park?

Oh baby, baby, it's a wild world...

Amber Lee said...

So I had just checked the weather and was coming on over to your blog to leave a comment about the freezing temperatures you are experiencing.

Of course I saw your new post and to say the least your experience was quite strange. You handled it a lot better than I would have. It would have freaked me out to the point that I would have been thinking, "Are these people going to abduct me take both my kids and kill me?" Also, what if they are at the park when you go back? Are you required to talk to them? Do they think you are friends now? Hmmm….Maybe they think you are a taxi service or possibly a mall shuttle that if they walk to the park they may be able to catch you for a lift?

OK,so… Put 911 on your speed dial and always let Jeremy know what days you are going to the park!

Am I paranoid, yes, but you already knew that about me.

Trent said...

Close your eyes and try to picture me laughing at this totally inappropriate, but not unexpected occurrence.

I don't know what I would have done in such a situation. Well, I think I do. I would have told them no and walked away. Although that choice might make for a very awkward park experience, and possibly an early departure.

What a weird place you live in…

Amy Butler said...

Tell me about it.